Format war over?
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
adzman
Mega user
usa.gif
Post 2008-01-18 13:13 [Quote] 
Flash drives are NOT a conceivable alternative to optical disks:
Quote:
Typical overall file transfer speeds are about 3 Mbit/s. The highest current overall file transfer speeds are about 10-30 Mbit/s. Older, "full speed" 12 Mbit/s devices are limited to a maximum of about 1 Mbit/s.

while blu-ray:
Quote:
1x@36 Mbit/s
2x@72 Mbit/s
4x@144 Mbit/s
6x@216 Mbit/s

Minimum data transfer for blu-ray movies is 30.24 Mbit/s while the maximum is 48 Mbit/s. To conserve space on the disk I'm sure.

And optical disks aren't as delicate as everybody seems to think they are. So they can be scratched. So what? A magnet won't destroy the data on it like it would a flash drive.

And HDi is one of the reasons for this entire format war. I doubt the blu-ray companies will win just to adopt the thing they fought against.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Kal-el
Post 2008-01-18 17:08 [Quote] 
And what was the transfer speed of USB 1.0? The first CD-rom drive? The first DVD-rom drive? Anyways my point is that it's not set in stone. Just like they can develop drives that read/write faster, I'm sure they can and probably are developing Flash drives that can do the same.

From working in a Blockbusters I can't count the number of scratched, melted, or otherwise damaged discs I've seen.

Protection against magnets could be built into the flash drive's casing.

adzman
Mega user
usa.gif
Post 2008-01-20 05:17 [Quote] 
Really the only thing I don't want to happen is them going completely virtual with it. I like having a physical copy of something I buy. Makes me feel a lot better when my money actually gets me something instead of just switching some bits.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arigatou Anime Forum Index -> Random Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours

Jump to: