Home
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
muxing -> shorter video play time  
tofug
Post 2008-10-05 14:15 [Quote] 
I'm trying to encode the a video to avi but the play time keeps getting smaller. Is it the case that I should lower to fps rate?

I'm using avc2avi to make the .h264 into an avi container. I can't get the time to be the same as the audio file. And for some reason some of the frames play earlier than they should, when the output timing is the same as the original.

Kaugustino
Site Admin
canada.gif
Post 2008-10-05 18:49 [Quote] 
Moving this topic as it has nothing to do with our videos, just a general question.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Post 2008-10-05 18:49
Topic has been moved from forum Help and Support to forum Random Chat

Kaugustino
adzman
Mega user
usa.gif
Post 2008-10-06 12:37 [Quote] 
You're probably trying to mux an encode that uses a Variable Frame Rate. Instead of a single FPS through out the file, it changes to match the frames that were removed when de-interlacing it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Kaugustino
Site Admin
canada.gif
Post 2008-10-06 13:24 [Quote] 
Which means: The vfr file is a text documnent thats put in to the file when it is first mux. Usualy the video is shorter then the audio file and the vfr file solves that issue by matching back the frames lost with the vfr. From my experiance you can not extract this file and its usualy best to try and directly convert the file to the format you want. A program called Super may be your best choice.

Super can be found on www.videohelp.com
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JoRuDubU
User
Post 2010-03-18 15:11 [Quote] 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_frame_rate wrote:
Variable frame rate (or VFR) is a term in video compression for a feature supported by some container formats which allows for the frame rate to change actively during video playback, or to drop the idea of frame rate completely and set individual timecode for each frame. VFR is especially useful for creating videos of slideshow presentations or when the video contains large amounts of completely static frames, as a means of improving compression rate.

I don't know of any programs that are specifically for extracting or exporting a timecode file, but Aegisub (http://blog.aegisub.org/) has that ability. It's a subtitling program with support for editing and creating lots of different subtitle formats, but fawns over Advanced SubStation Alpha (ASS (lol, I'm mature) ). They have versions for Windows (I know 100% for XP, but not sure for Vista or 7), Linux, FreeBSD, and MacOS.

http://aegisub.cellosoft.com/docs/Highlights wrote:
• Powerful video mode
• Most video common video formats are supported out of the box, but if that isn't enough, Aegisub can also use your system's DirectShow environment to open any format you can play in Windows Media Player.
• Full support for variable framerate video and Matroska timecodes. Capable of reading timecodes directly from Matroska files for seamless VFR work.
• Problems with anamorphic video? Overscan? Aegisub has the tools to handle it.

http://aegisub.cellosoft.com/docs/Video#Timecodes wrote:
Timecodes
Loading of Matroska timecode files (v1 and v2) is supported and useful if you have a VFRaC (Variable FrameRate assumed Constant; for example the frames of an VFR MKV stored in an AVI at a constant FPS, see the VFR thread linked above for details) video file but want the subs to sync to it. If you load a Matroska file, Aegisub will automatically read the timecodes from it directly. Do however note that this is NOT supported for any other potentially VFR formats like MP4 or WMV; for those formats you MUST demux and load timecodes yourself or the audio/video/subtitle synchronization will be wrong. Be aware that WMV in particular is frequently VFR even if you do not expect it.

So apparently, it can read, and even export the files containing the timecodes, but only if the video data and timecodes are extracted from a Matroska video file (MKV), which happens to be the MOST awesome format, and the multimedia container format choice of the wonderful ArigatouHell... Hope that helps. xP
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arigatou Anime Forum Index -> Random Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours

Jump to: