Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Format war over?
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Faite
Mega user
canada.gif
Post 2008-01-05 10:01 [Quote] 
Seems quite likely.

WB has stated they are Exclusively Backing Blu-ray starting May, format war pretty much over now. Goodbye HD-DVD, hello way more titles for me to watch.
I've always thought it was bound to happen. Sony had the balls to bundle Blu-ray with the PS3 and get their player into peoples homes. I had always said that this would make Blu-ray the new standard, and with this "format war" coming to an end soon it will be interesting to see how the sales of the PS3 continue (i predict they will skyrocket now that consumers can confidently invest in Blu-ray alongside a next gen console)
here's the official WB Stinker press release -
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1700383,00.html
and the still stubborn Toshiba Pissed reaction to WB's decicion -
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS230058+04-Jan-2008+PRN20080104

Gamer

Last edited by Faite on 2008-01-05 15:41; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
adzman
Mega user
usa.gif
Post 2008-01-05 12:22 [Quote] 
Woot! In your face Saoen!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Kaugustino
Site Admin
canada.gif
Post 2008-01-05 16:22 [Quote] 
HAHA
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Saoen
Post 2008-01-05 22:28 [Quote] 
lol

I still back NEITHER Format, So suck it adzman

Kal-el
Post 2008-01-06 00:08 [Quote] 
Sony forced Blu-ray into people's homes by bundling it with their PS3. However, the increased price that went along with it turned many people away (as shown by the PS3's less than stellar sales).

Microsoft had the right idea. They made it an attachment. That way they weren't turning away people that still have SDTVs or bought a BETAmax player back in the day and don't want to make that mistake twice so they decided to wait. If you want the HD-DVD player, then you pay the extra 200$ (and get 5 free dvds at best buy or something like that). If you don't want it/can't use it (SDTV), then you don't have to pay for something you can't use/don't want.

WB still might come back on their decision when they see that their sales drop because no one has blu-ray and don't want to/can't fork over the money for it.

I say both formats will fail. The better format would be one that involves no moving parts or discs that are easily damaged. Granted blu-ray is more scratch resistant, but discs need to go.

someone on another forum wrote:

With flash disks and SSD disks moving up to comfortable size, and upcoming TB media chips.
The debate about the standards on these plastic plates is irrelevant.

Faite
Mega user
canada.gif
Post 2008-01-06 12:52 [Quote] 
Kal-el wrote:
...If you want the HD-DVD player, then you pay the extra 200$ (and get 5 free dvds at best buy or something like that)

Blu-ray actually did the same offer, my movies are in the mail. Otaku

Since the drop of price and the 2 new SKUs PS3 sales have increaced dramatically, outselling the Wii in Japan a few times now per/month. The two new FFXIII titles and Metal Gear Solid 4 are sure to boost sales much higher.

I don't think Microsoft did the right thing, HD DVD should have been integrated into the console, this "war" would not be nearly over now, possibly extending it for several years or beating Blu-ray all together, as 360 did have a year jump on the PS3. Though, the ad--on of XBOX360 is a very very poor product, usually listed in the bottom rankings for HD DVD players. So even integrated, people would want a better player.

Also, next gen consoles are made to be played on HDTV's, if you aren't ready for HD consoles then why not get a PS2/XBOX instead, they have far more games to play, are easily accessible and very cheap. If you are going to shell out 400$+ for a console you should realize most of it is for that high definition sound & video, not really gameplay as can be seen by the bulk of titles on both systems being less than stellar.

I doubt disc formats will be going anywhere any time soon, they have resistant DRM and are a consumer friendly product. The fellow from the other forum is fooling himself if he thinks the debate is irrelevant.

All major studios have chosen where to invest their money Blu-ray or HD DVD, sure TB chips can be made, but those studios are NOT going to put their product on any of them any time soon because they have invested. China is known as the trendsetters for which formats to go with and usually have a head start on Europe and North America, if SSD discs and Flash Discs were even noteworthy in the "next-gen format" debate, they would be using them already.

Whichever wins this one (It will be Blu-ray), expect to see them around for several years, they are still producing DVDs as well, formats get phased in and out, and manufacturers know how to PROFIT on this and often hold back new technology to milk their gains. It's called smart economics.
Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Faite
Mega user
canada.gif
Post 2008-01-06 12:53 [Quote] 
Also... can't wait to watch Tekkonkinkreet on Blu-ray, next time i see it i'm grabbing it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Saoen
Post 2008-01-06 14:08 [Quote] 
Ok Frankly I agree with Faite slighty.

Microsoft shouldve put an HD-DVD Drive in the 360 I fully agree with that statement, cause frankly I still woudlve bought the system and then id be able to watch HD-DVD movies on it. The price might of scared alot of ppl off which is why they made it as an attachment, but think about this, MS charges ludicrous amounts for their software, yet people still buy them.

Blu-Ray I will admit is a great format, but so is HD-DVD, they both offer the same qualities except size, thats it. If I was a video game developer id say **** HD-DVD and go with Blu-Ray, but then it limits myself to the PS3 Console, which as stated earlier is having lackluster sales due to the blu-ray drive driving up the price of the console. And the 360 has now over 17 Million Consoles in the World. Thats a huge install base. Any smart developer is gonna make their games for the largest install base if they want to make the most money, or in most cases make it for both PS3 and 360.

To tell you the truth I dont care who wins the format war, cause whoever does win I will adapt to them, its as simple as that.

As for movie studios its obvious why they chose blu-ray, the sheer size that can be put onto the discs, and the fact that the install base for Blu-Ray is larger then HD-DVD, Toshiba can tell you all night and day that they sell more stand alone players but it doesnt matter when it comes to a format war, its all in the numbers. Blu-Ray has a larger install base because of PS3, its Simple. Sony put the Blu-Ray Drive in the PS3 Why you ask? Cause duh its PS and people will buy it, some people buy PS just because its a PS.

Anyway im done ranting.

blsinner
Post 2008-01-08 02:51 [Quote] 
Looks to me like blu-ray has won the format war.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/betaville/news/1701145/

Kal-el
Post 2008-01-08 04:57 [Quote] 
blsinner wrote:
Looks to me like blu-ray has won the format war.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/betaville/news/1701145/

Not necessarily. Like I said; Blu-ray might have won over HD-DVD, but like I said they both might lose out infavor of something more like this:

It's a hell of a lot more portable and resistant than a big ol' 12cm (almost 5 inch) plastic disc. The one in the picture holds 2gb. It probably won't be long before it's holding 20+gb, but that doesn't matter since all they need to reach is ~8 or 9GB to be viable for the movie industry.

The players for such devices would be tiny since there's no trays to open or lenses or any other moving part to work into the equation. Hell if they ditched discs altogether and used flash drives, they could build the player right into the side of the TV!

You could even carry your favorite movie around on your keychain, so it's always around when you feel the urge to watch it. No way are any DVD's THAT portable!

Faite
Mega user
canada.gif
Post 2008-01-08 13:20 [Quote] 
Paramount studios is poised to drop its support of the high-definition DVD (HD DVD) format after Warner Bros studio said it would back the competing Blu-ray format, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.The loss of support from Paramount, which is owned by Viacom Inc, would likely deal the final blow to the HD DVD format backed by Toshiba Corp and put an end to the format war, the newspaper said on its Web site. Time Warner Inc’s Warner Bros studio on Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp’s Blu-ray format, marking a major setback to the HD DVD camp.

http://www.rlslog.net/paramount-drops-hddvd-end-of-format-war/

"poised" so not definite, but most likely.

Pistol Whip
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Saoen
Post 2008-01-08 19:36 [Quote] 
Only time will tell

Faite
Mega user
canada.gif
Post 2008-01-08 19:45 [Quote] 
Looks possible the XBOX360 will release a BD add-on, the most positive thing that I hope comes from this would be more co-operation between Sony and Microsoft.
Quote:
At the same time, Bell recognizes that Sony and Microsoft already work together in some arenas. "You know, interestingly, we have a long history of partnership with Sony. Obviously, they run our software on their personal computers and other devices, so we have a 'coopetition' -- a word I learned at Microsoft when I joined. We've been talking to Blu-ray all along because we have the best piece of software in the business, called HDi. It is the backbone that powers interactivity in HD-DVD and we have that available to potentially partner with others."

I would very much like to see HDi come to Blu-ray.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Neostar
Post 2008-01-14 14:31 [Quote] 
I knew from the beginning that Blu-ray would be the one. It can store 50GB on a dual layer blu-ray disc and blanks are available to buy right now. HD-DVD took way too long to release blanks which only now are appearing, they are also far more expensive and come in single layer 15GB. Blu-ray burners are starting to get to a point where it's reasonably priced compared to HD-DVD burners. Also has anyone even seen a HD-DVD burner?

As for Warner Bros it's possible that they chose Blu-ray because it doesn't really support region-free discs unlike HD-DVD which does. And Blu-ray also supports Java which allows for custom interactive menus with erm.. games and other play things to be added. HD-DVD does not support any of this.

Java is open source so it does not cost any thing to support it on Blu-ray. On HD-DVD the companies will have to pay Microsoft for the custom created software used to create the menus. This alone will sway companies away.

dtrini
Post 2008-01-17 14:35 [Quote] 
even if the war is over . dvd is still were its at. some people dont even know a format war was going on. this format war has alot of enemys this time around.dvd,digital distro. storage - hard drives are cheap- flash as the said above. price. going nowhere fast mass adopt is far away. could be wrong

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arigatou Anime Forum Index -> Random Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours

Jump to: