Home
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Kudos and a Potential Misunderstanding...  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Arigatou Anime Forum Index -> Help and Support
Sickological
Post 2009-05-23 00:19 [Quote] 
I was just wondering, and I could be wrong (If so, please correct me), but isn't the actual video codec being used on ALL (guessing, as I have not sifted through every one) of your releases, "H264(or H.264)"? Because you keep calling them "x264", which I'm pretty sure is the encoding library used (again, If you think I am wrong, please do not hesitate to cast me and my insolence into the pits of hell with a reason why), not the actual codec. If when you said, "Video Codec: x264", you meant, "Video Encoding: x264", I'm sorry to try and correct the way you said it.

If I am coming off as rude, I am EXTREMELY sorry. I have nothing but respect for you guys and the AWESOME quality of your releases. I am just a little obsessive about the terms people throw around. NOT saying that you guys haven't ever done your video encoding research, it is clear that you have (proof being your AWESOME quality encodes and your entire group of AWESOME encoders, if there are more than one- haven't really looked into that), it's just maybe, some time down your "encoding career" road, someone may have gotten mixed up, and no one gave it a second thought...?

Sources:
Wikipedia: "H.264 is a standard for video compression, and is equivalent to MPEG-4 Part 10, or MPEG-4 AVC (for Advanced Video Coding)..."
Wikipedia: "x264 is a free software library for encoding video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format..."

PS.
You guys are the BEST-quality anime series release group I have EVER seen. I am NOT trying to say you were wrong to call the video codec, x264, instead of, H264(or H.264), I'm just saying it could be spreading the wrong idea around for people/newbies (said with no disrespect to anyone new to the computer and its ways or to downloading anime) searching for more/other encodes of anime. I am also NOT saying, "I want you to go out and change every anime you called the video codec x264 and change it to H264(or H.264) right now!", I'm just sort of reminding you of something you may or may not already know, and to keep potential confusion from getting at newer users and keeping them from finding more great animes and anime encodes.

PSS.
I'm sorry if I wrote too much than you would really care to read from me(an unworthy leech to your guy's greatness.) Very Happy

adzman
Mega user
usa.gif
Post 2009-05-23 10:11 [Quote] 
We say x264 so people know 1.) which codec we're using and 2.) that they can figure out which tool we're using. It's not like we're the only one to do it like that either.

Site Admin
canada.gif
Post 2009-05-23 12:53 [Quote] 
AVC (Advanced Video Codec) = x264 + H264
H264 or H.264 = No vfr timecodes file (Depends on the program but the h264 codec as you had posted is correct)
x264 = vfr timecodes file added (As some have said its more of a video hack as it isnt a standard)

In some series that really need it. We will do a extra step and run a vfr timecodes pass. Which helps improve the quality of the video. Helps remove jerkey pans and other video issues. Between both codecs other than the extra file there isnt to much of a difference. As for the use of the "." for H.264 it is hardly used in any other group and really isnt a need for it. If you have any more questions feel free to reply back
 [Profile]  [PM] 
adzman
Mega user
usa.gif
Post 2009-05-23 16:45 [Quote] 
kevin vfr is a part of AVISynth, not x264. -_-

Site Admin
canada.gif
Post 2009-05-23 16:47 [Quote] 
uh huh Razz
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Sickological
Post 2009-05-23 17:12 [Quote] 
Auh, I see. I'm just being overly obsessed, I guess. Never really understood why anyone used VFR... Until now that is. >.>
Sorry to waste your time with retarded questions. xD

Kaugustino
Site Admin
canada.gif
Post 2009-05-23 17:59 [Quote] 
No problem. I am going to lock this topic now.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Arigatou Anime Forum Index -> Help and Support All times are GMT - 6 Hours

Jump to: